Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) is like a psychological label for people who think they are more important than they are, always want others to admire them, and struggle to understand or care about how others feel. Most of the time, when we hear about narcissism, we might think it’s something only guys have, but it’s important to know that women can show these traits too. This article is going to take a closer look at a specific type called the “Female covert narcissist,” digging into the sneaky yet powerful ways they behave. We want to understand how these women operate and affect others around them.
Understanding Covert Narcissism
Covert narcissists are a bit like secret agents of self-centeredness. Instead of being loud and boasting, they’re skilled at acting humble, vulnerable, and caring. They make up a fake version of themselves to hide the fact that they want everyone to admire them and to be in control. When it comes to women with covert narcissism, they might seem very nice, understanding, and loving when you first meet them. This makes it hard to see the sneaky tricks they use to control others because their real intentions are hidden behind a friendly mask.
Key Characteristics of Covert Narcissists
- Acting Humble (But Not Really): Covert narcissists pretend to be humble, saying things like, “Oh, it’s no big deal” when they do something impressive. But inside, they actually think they’re better than everyone else. Imagine a person who always talks about how easy their achievements are, making others feel like they’re not as good.
- Playing the Victim: Covert narcissists like to act like they’re always getting a bad deal. They say things like, “I always get treated unfairly,” to make others feel sorry for them. It’s a way for them to get sympathy and not take responsibility for what they do.
- Using Empathy Like a Tool: Covert narcissists act like they understand how others feel, but it’s not because they truly care. Instead, they use this understanding to control situations. Think of someone who always knows just what to say to make others do what they want, even if it’s not the best thing for everyone.
- Tricking People: Covert narcissists are really good at fooling others. They might change the truth or make someone doubt their own memory. Imagine a friend stating, “I didn’t bring that up. You’re probably remembering it incorrectly” even though you’re pretty sure you heard them correctly. This trickery helps them stay in control.
- Loving and Then Not So Much: In relationships, covert narcissists start by making their partners feel super special. They give lots of love and compliments. But over time, they might suddenly start saying bad things about their partners. It’s like going from being a star to feeling like you can never do anything right in their eyes.
Related Topic: Scapegoating: Shatter The Blame Game
Effects on Relationships
Being in a relationship with a tricky woman who hides her true feelings can cause a lot of problems:
- Feeling Confused and Upset: It’s confusing when she acts nice sometimes but does sneaky things. This can make the person in the relationship feel really upset.
- Not Feeling Good About Yourself: The tricky woman might say things that make the partner feel like they’re not good enough. This can make them doubt themselves and feel really bad about who they are.
- Not Seeing Friends and Family: The tricky woman might try to keep her partner away from their friends and family. This can make the person in the relationship feel alone and more likely to listen to the tricky woman.
- Making You Doubt What’s Real: The tricky woman might say things that make the partner question what they remember or believe. It’s like she’s trying to make them think they’re wrong.
- Feeling Really Good, Then Really Bad: At the beginning, the tricky woman might make the partner feel really special. But later on, she might start saying mean things. It’s like a rollercoaster of feeling good and then feeling really bad.
- Hard to End the Relationship: It can be tough to leave a relationship with a tricky woman. She might use guilt or say things to make the partner stay, even if it’s not good for them.
- Feeling Tired All the Time: Trying to deal with the tricky woman’s behavior can be really tiring. It’s like always being on alert, trying to figure out what she might do next.
- Not Getting Emotional Support: The tricky woman might not understand or care about her partner’s feelings. This can make the partner feel like their emotions don’t matter.
- Scared to Speak Up: The person in the relationship might be scared to say how they really feel because they’re afraid of what the tricky woman might do.
- Feeling Mentally Strained: Being in a relationship with a tricky woman for a long time can make the partner feel really stressed and anxious. It can even make them feel like they’re dealing with something like a bad memory.
It’s important for people in these relationships to find support from friends, family, or professionals to help them handle the difficulties and protect their well-being.
Spotting a tricky woman who hides her true feelings is really important to keep yourself safe from feeling bad emotionally and mentally. If you know the signs and tricks that these tricky people use, you can handle relationships better and set limits to protect yourself. It’s also crucial to tell others about this tricky behavior so that everyone can have better and healthier connections, and we can understand more about these tricky personality issues.